Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Stir Crazy

I talk about my relationship with Morey as a partnership. He helps me and makes my life easier and happier, but I also have responsibilities to take care of him and make sure he is as happy and healthy as possible. Morey is a pretty low maintenance dog and when all his needs are met he is a very easy dog to live and work with. When his needs aren't met, then life gets a little interesting.

This fall has been very busy for me and after a few weeks of not prioritizing taking care of myself, coupled with some extreme weather changes (record high and low in one week!), I got pretty sick. Coming home from work one day I went straight to bed and woke up 14 hours later. By my side the whole time was faithful Morey sleeping right beside me. It's a good thing he can be a lazy boy!

For the next three days I spent most of my time in bed sleeping or on the couch watching TV. I fed Morey and let him out, but that was about all the energy I had. After three days of this I could tell Morey was starting to get a little stir crazy. He started wandering around the house, grabbing any of his toys he found and bringing them to me. Normally we don't play fetch in the house but I made an exception since this was going to be Morey's only possibility of exercise. I threw his toy several times and he would run and grab it, jump on the couch next to me and then launch himself off the couch and over our low coffee table to get his toy. Who knew we had an obstacle/agility course in our house the whole time?

After tiring of playing fetch, Morey got a case of the "zoomies". Dogs with the "zoomies" can be quite entertaining as they race around like whirling dervishes, often going in circles and sometimes falling down when they get going too fast for their legs to keep up. Morey rarely engages in such silly behavior but since I wasn't able to give him exercise, he found his own way to use up some excess energy. Thankfully everyone and everything in the house survived Morey's "zoomies" and soon he was ready to jump back on the couch to keep me company.

I am now recovered and can give Morey his usual amount of exercise once again. Although once it gets cold we often end up playing ball in the halls at work instead of outside. Sometimes you have to get creative to take care of your canine companions!

No comments:

Post a Comment