Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lesson Learned

I live about 15 minutes from the airport and so usually before I head out on a trip I have Morey go “hurry” at home, that way when we arrive at the airport we are ready to go right in. When I headed home for Christmas I followed our usual routine, but as we were going through security, Morey started acting strange. He kept staring at me, which usually means he has to go out. When I asked him if he needed to “hurry” he perked his ears up which usually means he has to go. I got through security and found out my flight was delayed. Morey was still giving me “the look” so with a sigh we went out of security and visited the dog park. Morey did have to go and after relieving himself we went back inside and through security again. Nothing like going through security twice in 20 minutes!I think from now on we will visit the dog park before we go through security- just in case!

On our second trip through security we were in line behind a tiny dog wearing a Christmas sweater. It was sitting on top of its soft-sided carrier and being pulled along by its owner.
Festive dog at the airport
Morey was interested in it, but maintained his composure like a professional. There was a woman in the line next to us who was carrying a Yorkie but Morey didn’t seem to notice that dog. As we were waiting for a flight there was another little dog that appeared to be wearing a service dog vest. I keep an eye on Morey’s body language when we are in airports because he often spots dogs before I do and if I notice him getting excited I can redirect him more and make sure we put ourselves in a position to avoid any conflict. I am pretty good about anticipating Morey's reactions and reading his body language but I never know how the other dog is going to respond and so I prefer to keep our distance from other dogs when Morey is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment