Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Going Home for the Holidays


Traveling at the holidays means lots of kids are in the airport and I love to hear the education that happens when they encounter Morey. Some of them will say “I see a working dog!” and know they can’t pet him. Younger kids often don’t know why a dog is in the airport and as we go by we hear the start of a conversation about service dogs. Adults often recognize that they aren’t supposed to pet service dogs, but many of them still ask. I have gotten more strict about Morey’s petting rules, especially when he is wearing his pulling harness. There are so many distractions in the airport and I want his attention focused on me. I always notice lots of smiles as we go by.
There are also more dogs traveling around the holidays. Leaving Austin we encountered 3 dogs out in the relief area and then in D.C. we walked past several in the terminal-two of them were other service dogs or service dogs in training. Morey got a little excited and let out some small whines and woofs, but I was able to redirect him and keep going. Maybe he was just wishing his canine colleagues a very Merry Christmas!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment