Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Morey's Team

Well, I knew it was only a matter of time, but it happened. I have been upstaged by my dog.

Morey came to the rugby tournament with me because we were going to be there all day. So, when we entered the room, one of my teammates says "Hi Morey!" and another says "Hey buddy, how are you?" "Good to see you too guys" was my response. To their credit, they did apologize and greet me, but in our partnership I have become Morey's sidekick, instead of the other way around. Oh well, I suppose that's inevitable when you hang out with someone who is smart, handsome, and very nice.

Morey has gained the nickname of "Maurice" from some guys and "Povich" (from Maury Povich) from others. It's good to see them all enjoy Morey almost as much as I do. They joke about ruining him, but are all very respectful about asking me first before they interact with him. When it was ball time between games, Morey would take turns bringing the ball to each player. If he didn't immediately hold out his hand for the ball, he would simply move on to the next person. Morey made sure everyone felt included, even players from other teams. And he is very patient with how quads throw tennis balls-sometimes 2 feet and sometimes across the room and off the wall.

Morey definitely shows a preference for Norm, the guy he stayed with while I was gone. After playing ball with him for a few minutes Norm asked me if I could get Morey a drink because he looked thirsty. When Morey drank what I gave him, Norm said, "See, we understand each other." Norm jokes about teaching Morey the command "kill" and says he needs another week to perfect the skill...nice try, but I don't have plans to leave Morey for quite a while. It is good to know though, that I have a place to leave him where he is obviously well loved and cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment