Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Change of Mind

Morey has had a dramatic shift in his feelings regarding his dental hygiene. When I first got him and would try to brush his teeth he was not exactly thrilled with it. He would still come over and do a lap while I brushed them, but he came reluctantly and when I offered him the toothbrush to lick when he was done he would politely turn his head away.

I wanted this to be a positive experience for him since it's something we do everyday. I got some chicken flavored toothpaste and every time I asked for a lap I would give him some snuggles and talk silly baby talk to him. Maybe it's the new toothpaste or maybe it's the special snuggles, but Morey is now coming eagerly into the bathroom whenever I go in, waiting to see if he gets to have his teeth brushed. He'll even jump off the bed to come see if it's time for teeth brushing. He also licks the toothbrush clean when he is finished.

It's been fun to watch the transition from reluctantly tolerating tooth brushing to eagerly expecting it. Classical conditioning at its finest!

No comments:

Post a Comment