Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Morey's Sick Days

I've been waiting to write this post until I had the happy ending...and I think I finally have it.

Morey has been sick for the past few days. I'll spare you the details and descriptions, but it involved messes coming out of both ends. It started on Saturday night. I left Morey at home during rugby practice so we can both have our alone time. When I got home he met me at the door, jumping all around. Usually he's glad to see me, but this level of excitement was unusual. When I took him outside he did a nice big pile of poo...poor guy had waited until I got back even though he really really had to go!

I thought maybe he had over-exerted himself during the day, and thought it was a one time thing. Sunday he was a little lethargic and made a few more piles (thankfully all outside) so I decided to have him skip a meal or two to get back on track.

Monday everyone at work asked how Morey was and they were all sad to hear he wasn't feeling well. Some of them came by my office and when they saw him just laying on his bed they agreed that he looked like he didn't feel well. Monday night I got up at 4:30am to take him out and saw there was a pile of vomit on the floor. (While trying to not wake up completely-light off and eyes mostly closed- I grabbed the first white spray bottle I saw under the sink, assuming it was Nature's Miracles. After a couple of sprays on the carpet I thought "Hmm, that smells like bleach..." Sure enough, I had grabbed the wrong bottle. Oh well, guess the carpet will be disinfected!)

Tuesday poor Morey looked miserable. He didn't even try to open the door on the way in to work, so I generously took that job for the morning. He had several visitors check in on him throughout the day. He hadn't eaten since Sunday evening and so I gave him some rice and cottage cheese. He ate it eagerly and by the end of the day he was doing better. On the way back in to the office after a potty he jerked around and looked behind him several times. Given what had been going on back there for the past few days I was instantly on alert before I realized he was trying to grab his own tail! It was great to see Morey finally feeling better!

Maybe the fact that I had decided to take him to the vet the next day if he wasn't better motivated him to stop being sick, but today he was back to his normal happy self. He ate another helping of rice and cottage cheese for breakfast and had dog food for dinner. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but he seems to be back on track!

Through this experience I have been reminded what you will willingly do when you love somebody. For me, getting up in the night is not a fun or easy thing, but I was more than willing to do it for my poor sick puppy. Cleaning up messes, inside and out, is another job I don't find very enjoyable, but I felt so bad for Morey I didn't complain (too much!) Guess we lived out the "in sickness and in health" piece this last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment