Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Blessing of the Animals

Every year my church hosts a blessing of the animals but the last few years I had class that night so I wasn't able to attend. This year I made sure to mark my calendar so Morey could go be blessed!

At church Morey is usually working so everyone is used to seeing him on his best behavior. At this event I decided to let him go vest free so he could participate as a regular dog instead of a service dog. He enjoyed meeting the other dogs and people enjoyed being able to interact with him without his usual working rules. Several people commented on how "normal" Morey was- sniffing people, barking at some of the dogs and eating treats when they were offered. People sometimes don't realize that service dogs are still dogs and that they like to engage in regular dog behavior when they aren't working.


I made sure I brought some tasty treats to maintain Morey's attention and focus on me. When he sees other dogs he often thinks he is going to get to play with them and although it was ok for him to sniff and greet the other dogs it wasn't an event where he could run and play.
I am thankful to have a church that recognizes the special role that animals play in our lives. Morey is truly a gift from God and I am thankful for each and every day we get to spend together.!

No comments:

Post a Comment