Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

You Want Me to Walk on That??

The Furlough Class met at a library in Indianapolis. It is a great place to take the dogs because there are so many different experiences: carpet, tile, elevators, kids, book carts, café, security alarms, and many other potential training opportunities. There is one unique feature of the library that often triggers caution and fear in dogs and I wanted to see how Morey, usually so laid back and easy going, would respond.

Parts of the floor in the library are hollowed out and are used as an in-floor display. Inside the hollowed out parts are different books and objects that are then covered in a see-through material. People can walk over this area but dogs are often very hesitant to do so. And for good reason, it looks like you would drop into the hollowed out area. It usually takes a while (and some treats) to convince dogs that it is safe to walk on and even then they usually do it with caution.

I wanted to see how Morey would react and so I took him over to it and while I kept going, he stopped abruptly. He wouldn't even get close to it and tried to dart behind my wheelchair to avoid it instead of staying right beside me, We attempted it several times and each time he refused to even put a paw on the clear surface. I didn't push it and we settled down a few feet away while I chatted with a friend. While we were talking, several other dogs came by and conquered their fear of the scary floor.

When it was time to go, I asked Morey to try one more time. I tossed his leash on the clear part and I think that helped him realize that it was solid. He very tentatively put a paw out and "tested the waters". Once he realized it would hold him, he walked across it, but I could tell by his body language that he was still uncomfortable with it.

Morey is always so composed and handles everything that life throws at him and it still surprises me to find the things that throw him off guard. The clear floor was definitely one of his more "extreme" reactions" and I am glad that he was able to master his fears so he could be a good role model for the other pups in training!

No comments:

Post a Comment