Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Flight Adventures

Usually when I fly with Morey, I don't give the airline any advance notice, I just show up with him. On my most recent flight (that my dad booked for me), he checked the box saying I was traveling with a service/guide animal. Several weeks before the flight I got a phone call from the airline, asking questions about Morey's breed, size, and other logistical questions about the assistance I would need. I assured the man on the phone that Morey was an experienced traveler and I was familar with the process of boarding and de-planing with him.

I checked in at Austin without any problem and the flight attendants has reserved the entire row for me and Morey so he had plenty of room to stretch out. We had an hour an a half layover in Dallas, which allowed me to get to my next gate in plenty of time. As Morey and I were waiting for the flight, an airline employee came up to me. She asked my name and then wanted to confirm that I was traveling with a pet. I confirmed that I was traveling with a service dog and she looked over at Morey (who was laying several feet away). "Is that your dog" She asked. English did not seem to be her native language so I resisted an urge to make a joke-there weren't exactly a lot of other dogs laying around in the area.

 I confirmed that yes, he was my dog, and she looked at a paper she was holding. "Hmm, on here it says he is 80lbs so I was expecting a wolf." I tried hard not to laugh as I assured her that Morey was my dog and that although he does weigh 80 pounds he is not a wolf. I don't know if she meant a wolfhound or if there was a problem with translation, but the thought that she was expecting me to be traveling with a wolf made me laugh for the rest of the trip. Morey has been called a lot of things, but wolf has never been one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment