Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Farmer's Market

Out hotel was conveniently located a few blocks from Little Italy. This is also the location of the largest Farmer's Market in San Diego. The market was several blocks long (unfortunately along a very steep hill which made things interesting) with a variety of booths. Navigating through the crowds was challenge but it was definitely worth the effort.

The only damper on the whole experience was Morey's reaction to the other dogs we encountered. I thought he had gotten over his growling in greeting to other dogs, but it reappeared that day. When he saw a dog he would pull toward it with his hair raised and growling. He would then do a play bow and try to engage the other dog, but they interpreted his approach as threatening. Morey redirected back to me quickly, but it was embarrassing and frustrating to have this happen every few feet.

Luckily I had my Lickety Stick with me. This is a great treat that works well for me when I'm on the go with Morey. It looks like roll on deodorant only instead of deodorant, the bottle is filled with bacon-flavored goodness. As the dog licks the ball on top they get more of the yumminess. It has a really strong smell and gets Morey's attention instantly.

When we approached a dog I allowed him to lick the stick. This was more appealing to him than the other dog and it also paired the approach of a dog with something delicious.We have practiced this behavior before so he quickly got the hang of the pattern-dog=treat. Soon he was looking at me when we saw another dog-success!

This experience made me aware of the importance of keeping Morey well-socialized with other dogs. He loves to play and interact with other dogs and he hasn't had much of an opportunity recently. We will definitely be making a trip to the dog park soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment