Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Carded

Morey got carded for the first time at the airport last week. We were on our way to the USQRA (Rugby) National Championships in Louisville. As I was checking my rugby chair, the airline employee asked me why I needed Morey. I assumed she was asking out of curiosity and gave my standard answer of "retrieving, opening doors,and pulling my wheelchair" She then asked if I had certification for Morey because I would need it before I could get on the plane. I informed her that identification is not required, but that I did have an ID card. I have never been asked for any type of identification before since it is fairly obvious that I have a disability and Morey is dressed in a vest that clearly identifies him as a service dog. I showed her my ICAN ID card (the first time I have ever been asked to show it to someone) and she said it would be good enough.

I don't think she had much experience working with people with disabilities because she also told me I wasn't allowed to bring two wheelchairs (my everyday wheelchair and my rugby chair) which is also not correct. I have learned to be polite, but insistent, when working with airport personnel and eventually my service dog and wheelchairs were "approved" to fly with me at no extra cost.

Once we moved on to security, we had no additional questions asked-although the TSA agent was unsure whether to have Morey go through the metal detector or be given a pat down. He got a pat down in the end. I always wonder if Morey has flashbacks to his prison days when we go to the airport with the security screenings...

No comments:

Post a Comment