Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Nationals

Morey's trip to rugby Nationals was quite exciting. Because Nationals were held in Louisville, my family was able to attend. It was so fun to have them on the sidelines cheering for me and even better to be able to spend part of the weekend visiting.

Morey and I flew to Louisville by ourselves and the rest of the team met us there later in the day. Obviously Morey wasn't expecting to see our teammates in a totally strange place so he was extra excited in his greetings.He also got to see several other rugby friends, including Mike, his buddy from our trip in January.

Later on in the evening, my mom and sister arrived. As we were waiting in front of the hotel for them to arrive, I asked Morey where Grandma was. He knows that name and began to look anxiously around for her. Needless to say, he was quite excited when they arrived! Jessie had accompanied them and it was sweet to see Morey lick her face and interact with her. He wanted to play but accepted that she wasn't interested at the moment. He was content to walk beside her and lick her face every few steps (which she graciously tolerated). I was excited to see Jessie and my mom/sister were excited to see Morey and so we traded dogs for most of the weekend.

Because of my sister's schedule for her final exams, they had to leave to go back home for 24 hours. My mom had asked (pleaded) to let Morey go back with her for some special "grandma time". Since I was going to be busy playing rugby I didn't mind and knew he was going to have more fun with her than he would laying around the gym all day. I was slightly jealous that he got to go home and I didn't! While he was home he got to see Jamie, his breeder, and I was told that he obviously recognized her from his excitement when he saw her.

It was a fun, but odd weekend for all of us. Morey got to see almost all of his favorite people-which is unusual since they live in several different states. Morey's only complaint about the trip was the lack of grassy space in Louisville. Most of the grass that was around was elevated so I couldn't get to it or it had a fence around it. Luckily there was a park-like area next to the Convention Center where we were playing and so we visited there quite often!

We came in 6th at Nationals, not quite the finish we were hoping for. I played without a sub and got plenty of rugby time. I also got an impressive bruise that I still have (two weeks later). The Stampede's season is over now, so there may not be any Morey/rugby stories for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment