Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

What Morey Doesn't Know How to Do

At my church there are two boys who absolutely love Morey! They want to give him commands and play with him and I have had to be careful to establish some firm rules with them. One compromise we have made is that on Wednesday nights, they can play with Morey after church, but not before. I bring his tennis ball and we play fetch or hide and seek once church is over.

This week we were playing "find"/hide and seek with his ball. Morey likes to try to "cheat" and watch where they are hiding the ball, so I always have to cover his eyes. One of the boys (who is 6) said "You need to teach Morey to cover his eyes with his paws so you don't have to do it." I tried not to laugh at the mental image of Morey covering his own eyes with his paws.

The next time we went through this routine, the other boy was hiding the ball and so I was asked "Doesn't Morey know how to close his eyes?" while I was using his vest as a makeshift blindfold (my dog is so patient!). "No, that's not something he knows how to do." I replied, thinking he meant does he know how to close his eyes on command. He looked at me and asked "How does he sleep if he doesn't know how to close his eyes?" Laughing, I clarified that he knows how to close his eyes, but it's not something he can do on command. I guess that's something we can work on if we ever run out of training ideas!

Although Morey knows lots of cool stuff, leave it to 2 kids to point out things he doesn't know how to do. It definitely gave me a good laugh though! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment