Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Monday, May 2, 2011

BBQ and Crawfish Boil

Now that rugby season is over, I actually get to choose what I do on weekends. It's kind of fun!

This weekend a friend from church invited Morey and me to a BBQ/Crawfish Boil. It was a big community event with lots of different people competing for the best BBQ and, being Austin, live music throughout the day. Each group had a tent set up and people wandered between all of tents tasting BBQ.My friends had brought their dogs- a black lab and a golden retriever. (I love Morey to pieces, but when I saw the golden, I'll admit that my heart melted and I instantly had to pet his long silky fur. Made me miss my golden girl!) Their dogs are very well behaved and were able off leash since they just stayed within the boundaries of their tent.

After the initial introductions, during which Morey made it clear that he would LOVE to romp and play, the dogs settled down while we sat around chatting and eating some tasty BBQ. Although the dogs wandered from person to person to be petted, none of them begged or ate food off the ground. I'm glad Morey has found some friends that are good influences for him!

We took the dogs to the park area behind the tents and let them run and play. It's the second time Morey has had a chance to play with big dogs since moving to Texas and it was fun to watch him run and frolic. We used it as a chance to practice recalls and I had to smile watching him gallop toward me with his tongue hanging out.

There were some little kids playing with a ball next to us and when the ball was kicked, Morey ran over and grabbed it. The kids started yelling and Morey brought the ball to me. I assured the kids that I would give it back and told Morey to stay while I threw it back to them. After that we wandered back to the tent (some temptations are just too tempting to ask him to ignore).

It was a fun afternoon for both of us. My friend and I agreed that we would have to plan another dog outing soon.

(On a side note, I discovered I am not a fan of crawfish. Popping off the head, picking off the skin, and sucking out one bite of meat is too much work for the amount of food, in my opinion. But, I did it for the experience and can now say I've attended a crawfish boil. Check that off the list!)

No comments:

Post a Comment