Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, May 4, 2013

UT Remembers

Each year, UT hosts a memorial, called UT Remembers, to remember all the people connected with UT who have died in the past year. This year I have had several students pass away and so Morey and I planned to attend. The event was held outdoors in the Tower Garden (also home to the turtle pond) and since the terrain was a little uneven, I pulled up to the first row of chairs I could easily get to and simply added myself to the row. As it turned out, I was sitting next to a family of a professor who had passed away. The two kids, probably 14 and 11, were very excited to have Morey sit next to them and after the service their mom thanked me/Morey for keeping them entertained.

As Morey's faithful fans might remember, Morey is not quite sure how he feels about bagpipes. He has only encountered them once with me and that was at church. When I looked at the program for the service, I realized that he was going to get to hear them once again. The UT Police Department Honor Guard was going to be opening and closing the service with a bagpipe processional. Unfortunately, my seat happened to be directly next to their route of travel and so Morey got a very up close and personal encounter with bagpipes. One of the police officers who was part of the Guard is also one of the officers who work with Canine Officer Spike and I saw him smile by Morey's reaction to the bagpipes. As you can see from the picture, bagpipes are quite captivating for Morey!
What is that sound??
It's coming right toward me!










As an advertisement and memento for the event, they were handing out small cards with an orange ribbon pinned to it. It was such a windy day that mine blew away and I had to send Morey to retrieve it. He did successfully, although he may have added several additional holes for the pin!

No comments:

Post a Comment