Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Practically Perfect...but not quite

I call Jessie my "Mary Poppins Dog" because she is practically perfect in every way. I think Morey also falls into that category, which makes it surprising when I find something about him that isn't perfect. Today, however, I added something to the list: Morey does not like to take pills.

I'll back up and provide some explanation of how I came to this discovery. On Saturday night, Morey had a "relapse" that involved getting up 3 times in the night so he could go out...again. It had been a full week since this had all started and I decided it was time to bring in the vet.

I also had remembered that Morey had met a guide dog in my office and the dog's partner had mentioned the dog having some stomach difficulties. On Monday I called the student, got the details, and then made an appointment for Morey today.

We left with antibiotics, probiotics, and something else to help clear up his diarrhea. All in all, he's supposed to be taking 7 pills a day. Which brings me back to my problem. Morey is smart enough that he can't be tricked into slipping a pill in a handful of food. Coating it with peanut butter didn't work (still have to try cheese or meat). When he knows it's coming he clamps his jaw shut so I can't pop it in the back of his throat. For as easy going and accepting he is of everything else, it's a surprise to have him put up a fuss at eating a pill. But I guess people and dogs are entitled to their idiosyncrasies. Let's just say it's going to be an interesting week...

No comments:

Post a Comment