Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Bus Ride

Today was Morey's first time to ride the bus to work. He had ridden it with me the night we arrived to Texas, so it wasn't too new or exciting. He curled up beneath the seat, very nicely tucked out of the way. I'll have to get a picture to post.

I got a rug for him to lay on to give him some traction when the bus turned or stopped; the slippery floor had him sliding all over on our trial run. I am working on training him to retrieve the rug on cue of "rug" and he had a great start last night (we were shaping and after offering many different behaviors including bowing, laying down, scratching the rug, and retrieving anything that was on the floor in the general area, we had the breakthrough of "oh you want me to retrieve the rug...got it!") Practice makes perfect, so we'll keep at it.

Going back to the bus ride, most of the buses here have ramps to get on, so he hasn't experienced riding on a lift. That's still on the to-do list. Jammer, Morey's dad, was the first dog I taught to ride a wheelchair lift and I'm hoping it will be a "like father, like son" training experience. In the meantime though, Morey is doing his part to be "green" by being a public transportation commuter.

No comments:

Post a Comment