Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Together again

I got back to Austin at 1am last night so I went and picked up Morey after work today. I was very proud of myself as I only asked twice how he was doing while I was gone. (Both times the answer was "good"-not exactly the detailed update I was looking for!)

When I went into the house he came over slowly to say hi, but when he realized it was me he did a full body wag and walked in circles around me-very similar to the way his mom Cleo shows excitement (without the need to grab something in his mouth and do a low happy-growl).

From all reports, he had a great time. Norm asked if he would ever stop playing ball and said they had played for hours over the weekend. Apparently he could throw the ball on the roof and Morey would jump up and catch it in the air as it bounced down. Norm also confessed that they played ball in the house.

He got to sleep in Norm's bed and continued his habit of sleeping as close to you as possible.

I had given Norm a list of Morey's commands, but had left off most of the working words (Tug, Push, etc.). Norm told me that Morey was helpful around the house, closing doors, tugging off his shirt, and retrieving. I asked what words he used and he said "Well, I said pull and he pulled my shirt off and then close for the door. It seemed to work". Since the real commands are "tug" and "push" I guess that demonstrates how much context plays a part in service dog commands!

Norm said he was welcome back anytime. Morey seemed very happy there, but he kept a close eye on me while I packed his stuff.

Our Las Vegas trip was cancelled, so I will be home in Austin until March. It will be nice to have a month and a half without any travel. Maybe Morey will actually figure out where he lives now!

A rugby update: the team I was playing with in Florida was the developmental national team. We won 1 game against Switzerland and came in 6th place. That was the last time that team will be together. There will be try outs for the next team in May. It was cold in Florida-40 degrees in the mornings! Brr! That's the last time I travel without my hoodie!

No comments:

Post a Comment