Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, May 27, 2017

The End

Every story has a beginning and an end. When Morey and I started our story together six and a half years ago I was already dreading the day when our story would end. I just never expected it to be so soon. Morey was only eight and a half and I was expecting to have at least a few more years together. Part of me gets angry that I was "cheated" out of more time with him but that turns into thankfulness for all the wonderful years we did have together.

Morey has been gone for two weeks and it still doesn't feel real. I still expect him to greet me when I come home from a bike ride or come running around the side of the house with his tennis ball. Tears come easily when I get in the car by myself or wake up in the morning with the whole bed to myself. The house is so empty and lifeless without a dog and I feel like part of me is always missing- because it is. I can get through each moment on its own but thinking ahead to forever without Morey is overwhelming.

There are so many losses to grieve. Morey my service dog, Morey my agility partner, Morey my best friend and constant companion. Every place I go, everything I do is a reminder that Morey is gone. It's hard to be constantly faced with your loss and yet that is the price I pay for being constantly graced by Morey's presence during his life.

I have gone through some tough times over the past six years and Morey was always there to help me through them. With his happy face and wagging tail he would distract me and comfort me and remind me that things can't be all bad when you have a toy to play with, treats to enjoy and a friend to cuddle with. Facing the loss of Morey and life without him seems overwhelming and impossible but I know Morey wouldn't want me to be sad.

Many people are already asking me about getting another dog. I will likely get another service dog at some point but my heart is not ready to even consider that possibility yet. I am thankful that I can still live independently without Morey so I don't have to rush into a new relationship. I am looking into options to foster dogs since I can't stand the emptiness of my house and I would have a lot to offer a dog in need of a place to be while it finds its new home.

I started this blog for other people who wanted to stay involved with what Morey was up to in Texas. Now it is an incredible journal of our time together with more than 500 posts and pictures of special memories with Morey. Although they bring tears now I am thankful for all the good times and in the words of Dr. Seuss "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".








No comments:

Post a Comment