Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Monday, May 29, 2017

A Lasting Legacy

Morey is gone but the impact he had on people lives on.  I have been humbled and amazed by all the love and support from people sharing their stories of how Morey impacted their lives in positive ways. From my former classmates in grad school to people who only "met" Morey via my blog and Facebook,  Morey's loving and happy personality made him friends everywhere he went. I can only hope to live my life in a way that brings so many smiles to people's faces!

It has been so special to see Morey being honored and celebrated by many of the different groups who loved him so much.

Morey's Above and Beyond Service Award
At the end of the spring semester, the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement (where I work) posthumously honored Morey with the Above and Beyond Service Award, in special recognition for a lifetime of service. Morey is well-known across campus and it has made me smile to hear so many people share how he made their days better. He set a high standard for us all to live up to when it comes to dedication and enthusiasm for your work!






Agility had become one of Morey's favorite activities and only a month before his diagnosis he was competing in an agility trial and doing quite well! Although I am not very crafty I put together a shadow box with some of his ribbons and a few pictures of him to remember the enthusiasm he had for agility!
Agility Shadow Box  



Morey was a beloved part of my church family and we all miss his presence in the pews on Sunday mornings. On Memorial Day weekend my pastor preached a sermon about making memorials to help us remember the ways God has worked in our lives. She then surprised me by coming over to where I was sitting and revealing that the church had added a memorial for Morey on the pew where we always sat; a carved wooden paw print with Morey's name carved in it. What a precious way to honor and remember Morey as a member of our congregation!
Morey's Memorial on the pew

And so I realize that although my adventures with Morey are over, it is not the end. The love I have for Morey will go on and the impact he had on countless lives leaves a lasting legacy. Morey was a perfect example of living in the moment, enjoying the present, accepting people as they are, always being open to making a new friend, doing your job with enthusiasm and dedication and always knowing how to brighten your day. Morey was a true friend who made our lives better and that is the legacy he leaves for all of us who love him. May we strive to be as much of a friend to others as he was to all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment