Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Shocking Behavior

The weather in Texas recently has been up and down with a swing of 50 degrees in 24 hours! It's hard to keep up with what to wear and what to expect each time you go outside! I'm not a weather expert but something in the air seems to be contributing to a build up of static electricity because I have been shocked numerous times a day over the past week.

At first I noticed it when I pushed the automatic door button on the bathroom door at work. Every time I touched the metal button I would get a small shock (I have also noticed with some amusement that I have been classically conditioned to now flinch each time I touch the button!). I also noticed it when I opened my car door and, sadly, when I reached out to pet Morey.

The other day I was at home and as I reached out to pet Morey he came toward me with his eyes squeezed shut and I realized he was expecting to be shocked! It made me sad to realize he was associating my touch with a shock and yet he was willing to risk it to interact with me! I am now being much more cautious about touching something to discharge the static electricity before touching Morey so he doesn't learn to have a total aversion to me!




No comments:

Post a Comment