Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Friday, August 12, 2016

Adapting To Age

Morey will be eight years old in October, a reality I don't like to think about. I still consider him my "new" dog and can hardly believe we've been together five and a half years. We've had so many amazing experiences together and hopefully we have many more years to enjoy together!

While Morey still acts like a youngster, there are a few signs that he is growing older. As his human partner, I need to be paying attention to these signs and making adjustments so he can stay happy and healthy as long as possible. Morey used to want to play ball forever, but he is now content with chasing it three or four times and then he just wants to lay down and hold onto the ball. I am certainly happy to let him set his limits and respect his energy levels.

Morey sleeps on my bed and a few weeks ago I noticed he was having trouble jumping from the hardwood floor to my bed. His feet were scrambling on his takeoff and I think it scared him. Normally he is eager to jump on my bed whenever I tell him he can, but it got to the point where he would hesitate before jumping and I could tell he was really struggling with it. Since his "takeoff" seemed to be the problem I bought a rug to put on the floor in front of my bed that would provide him with a more solid jumping off point. Thankfully that seemed to do the trick by providing him a better launch pad to jump on my bed. Now Morey is happily jumping on my bed again. :)

I will continue to adapt and adjust to keeping Morey working and living as happily as possibly for as long as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment