Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Visiting the Vet

Morey's annual vet visit is in December. He always walks in happily since he doesn't have his vest on and therefore can interact with all the people and animals inside. However, once they take us back to the exam room he starts to remember what happens in this place and suddenly he is a little less eager to interact with the vet and vet techs. They take dogs in the back to weigh them and draw blood and when they bring him back he runs over as if to say "Do you know what they did to me?"


He wouldn't approach the vet until she offered him a tasty meat treat. Even then, his back feet stayed  put while he stretched the front half of his body to accept the treat. It is funny to see Morey be hesitant to approach people because he is always such a friendly dog.


Morey weighed 79.6lbs and the vet complimented him on being fit and trim! I am very diligent about keeping him at a healthy weight because I want to do everything I can to keep him working as long as possible. When I worked for ICAN it was unfortunately very common to see the service dogs get too heavy and that is so bad for their health. It can sometimes be hard for a person with a disability who may not easily be able to get out to provide their dog with exercise but it is an important thing that we as human partners need to do to take care of our dogs as well as they take care of us.


The vet also gave Morey compliments about his clean teeth (which I diligently brush every night). Again, this is another easy way to keep Morey healthy as long as possible. When I first got him he wasn't really a fan of getting his teeth brushed but once I found out he prefers Poultry-flavored toothpaste he now comes into the bathroom whenever he hears me get out my toothbrush!



Morey got a clean bill of health and I'm hoping to keep him that way for the coming year!


No comments:

Post a Comment