Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Airport Anecdotes

Traveling with Morey usually results in some amusing anecdotes and traveling home to Indiana for Christmas was no exception! 

We were waiting for our connecting flight (which kept getting delayed) in the Houston airport. There were lots of families traveling and a few seats over a family with two small girls was waiting as well. After a while they gathered their belongings and left the area where Morey and I were sitting. As they went by, one of the girls said "Daddy, is that a dog statue?", pointing to Morey. He laughed and said "No, but I could see why you would think that- you've never seen a dog be so still!"

I called Morey's name so he would pick his head up and show her he was real. She laughed as they walked away. Usually you consider yourself complimented if someone doesn't know you have a service dog with you. I guess another version of that is if they think your dog is a statue!

When we finally got on the plane we were seated next to a young man who was going home for the first time after completing boot camp. He was stationed in Texas and this was only his second time on an airplane. We chatted for a bit and I encouraged him to let me know if Morey was bothering him or taking up his space. Turns out he missed his dog so he didn't mind a bit. He had been awake all night and wanted to get some rest on the flight. As he slept, Morey rested his head on the soldier's legs. I wished I could get a picture but my phone was turned off.  Later in the flight the flight attendant asked the service member if Morey was his service dog. That makes sense, but I was quick to claim Morey as mine!

It is amazing to see how many lives Morey touches- even just for a moment. I especially notice it when I'm traveling; people who are caught up in their own lives stop to smile at Morey (and then sometimes at me). Morey is my special boy but I am glad he can bring some happiness to others as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment