Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Friday, October 31, 2014

Morey the Gardener

People often ask me what Morey does for me and I usually just mention a few of his more frequent tasks like pulling my chair, retrieving objects and opening doors. Like any job though, there are also those "other duties as assigned" which sometimes includes outside chores. This is especially true now that the weather is nice and you can be outside for more than a few minutes without overheating.


Since we now live in a house with a nice yard we often have work to do outside. Things like watering the garden, planting flowers, spreading mulch, weeding, sweeping the deck and picking up poop are a little more difficult from a chair but it is very true that where there is a will there's a way. It might not be pretty and it will probably take me a lot longer but there are very few things I can't do.



Morey supervising the tools
Morey applies his skills to outdoor work in a variety of ways. Sometimes it's retrieving a dropped shovel, sometimes he helps drag the hose over to where I need it. He can carry tools from me to my roommate if we are working on projects in different areas of the yard and has been known to carry empty containers to the trash or recycle.


Yep, this hole looks big enough!
Recently my roommate decided to plant a tree in the backyard. If you want to see a funny sight watch two quads trying to dig a hole big enough to plant a tree. Without being able to put your full body weight behind the shovel it takes a whole lot longer. I tried to get Morey to help with the digging but he decided he would just sit back and supervise. We did pretty well until we hit a rock layer and then had to have an able-bodied friend use a jackhammer to drill through the rock. At the end of the day though we had a new tree planted in the yard!


Morey looks forward to "watering" his new tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment