Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Loves of My Life

 
One of the best parts about going home is seeing my first service dog, Jessie. Honestly, the hardest thing about moving to Texas was leaving Jessie behind. She lives a great life with my mom and volunteers at schools and senior centers, making the most of her loving personality. But that doesn't keep me from missing her every day we're apart. My mom tells me that Jessie gets excited whenever she hears my name which makes me both happy and sad. Happy that she knows who I am yet sad that I don't get to see her very often.
 
 
The bond you share with a service dog is special. They become almost a part of you, an extension of yourself, and when that part can't be with you anymore you never really get over it. It used to be common to talk about your "replacement dog" when you got a second service dog. Now we mostly use the term "successor dog" which is much more accurate. You can never "replace" your dog. Yes, you can get another dog to do the same types of tasks for you but your relationship with your dog is unique. I love Morey so much but he will never fill the place in my heart that Jessie has.

I've known Jessie since she was a four month old pup in training and I was an able-bodied senior in high school. As Jessie transitioned into a service dog, I transitioned into being a person with a disability. When we ended up together after a failed first placement, it seemed like we were meant to be. Unfortunately, due to the demands of my busy college life and Jessie's not-so-great hips, our working life together was cut short. Still, in the time we had together Jessie taught me so much about loving people unconditionally, facing your fears and how to let people know when you are displeased without saying a word!  Jessie is nine now. I can't even think about the day when I come home and Jessie is not in the backseat, happily wagging her tail to greet me at the airport. Knowing how limited our time is together makes me cherish each moment with my sweet Jessie!
 
 
I'm so thankful to share my life with two such amazing service dogs! 
                                         Morey and Jessie, the best gifts  I've ever received!

1 comment:

  1. THinking of you and your entire family today.

    ReplyDelete