Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

ICAN Graduation

One of the highlights of my trip home was getting to attend ICAN's graduation for their newest service dog teams. I actually got to volunteer with Team Training one day, giving a lecture on Public Access and sharing some of my experiences with Morey. I also got to accompany the new teams as they completed their Public Access Tests that demonstrates that they are a safe and effective working team in a busy environment. For so many years I was involved in the training and client services as part of ICAN and getting back into it, even for a short time, made me realize how I much I miss it. It is incredibly rewarding to be part of these new partnerships. Knowing all the joy Morey has brought to my life, I was especially excited for the new teams as they begin their journey with their new service dog.

ICAN Graduation is special for many reasons, with one being because it is held inside the Indiana Women's Prison. For the handlers, it is the culmination of the months and years of work they have dedicated to training their dog. For the clients, it is the culmination of months to years of waiting and anticipating the positive changes a dog can bring to their life. Team Training and Graduation are truly a life-changing experience for both handlers and clients and to hear the impact that one dog can have on so many people is amazing.

For me, this graduation also gave me a chance to see folks I haven't seen for several years including ICAN volunteers, clients and handlers. Some of the clients were getting "successor dogs" and as I congratulated them on their new dogs there was a touch of sadness as I remembered placing them with their first dog, what seems like not long ago.

I had been a little concerned about how Morey might behave once he was "back behind bars", seeing so many new dogs and familiar people. He definitely remembered some people but (for the most part)he was appropriate with his greetings. I couldn't have been more proud of him as he acted like the model service dog.

ICAN is an organization that will always hold a special place in my heart. The work they do touches so many lives, including mine, in such powerful ways. www.icandog.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment