Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Friday, July 12, 2013

Meet and Eat


My church has a dinner and worship service on Wednesday evenings and during the summer different groups take turns hosting the dinner. My Sunday School class of young adults took on this challenge this summer. As it turns out, on one of our assigned weeks to host, our church as hosting 65 middle schoolers who were staying at our church while they did mission work in Austin during the day. Instead of serving 40 members of our church, we ended up providing dinner for over 100 people!

I went straight to the church after work to start setting up and so naturally Morey came with me. I was working in the kitchen and so I left Morey in a down stay in the hall (I am pretty used to dog hair in my kitchen, but figured that wouldn't be too appropriate in a church kitchen!). When all the kids started coming in they were very excited to see Morey but were respectful of his working status. I was worried that he might get stepped on, so I asked our secretary who collects the money if Morey could share the space under her table. She is one of Morey's fans and willingly agreed. When I went back to check on him, she said that a lot of the kids had complimented her on her dog!

 
One girl had hung around, sitting a few feet away from Morey and just watching him all evening, so after we had eaten and cleaned up, I asked if she wanted to pet him. She eagerly scooted toward Morey and he put his head on her leg while she petted him. They sat there together for the rest of the evening, enjoying each other's company.
Morey and I each had the chance to contribute our gifts and talents that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment