Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Shocking

If we have rugby practice on the weekends, I usually leave Morey at home. It gets a little cramped in the Mazda with Morey and all my rugby gear and I figure he would rather sleep at home on my bed than on the hard floor of the gym. When we practice in the evenings I usually come straight from work and then Morey is already with me.

I recently took Morey to a rugby practice and settled him as usual on his blanket bed. During a break when I came over to check on him, I realized he was shaking all over and had his ears pulled way back on his head. I held out my hand and called him over to me and he slunk to me. When he touched my hand, he got shocked and I realized why he was so scared.

The floor in that gym is rubber and it builds up static electricity so if you aren't careful you can get several good shocks during a practice. Poor Morey must have been getting shocked as he moved around and wasn't able to figure out how to avoid it. I moved his bed away from the metal strip of flooring he was laying next to and didn't touch him the rest of practice. Afterward I had to "jolly" him up and get him excited so he would approach me and the rest of my teammates. I was glad to see that he recovered quickly once he stopped getting shocked and soon was romping around like usual.

I will have to  figure out how to keep that from happening in future practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment