Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Focus

The gym at Lakeshore is huge. It has three basketball courts with a running track around all 3. There were always a lot of people in the gym, but somehow Morey could always tell where I was. I didn’t give him a lot of “stay” commands so the staff wouldn’t be having him break any commands I gave him when they would take him out or play ball with him while I was on the court. However, if someone tried to take him out or move him to a different location, Morey was hesitant to go unless he checked in with me first.

There is a fine line with this. Obviously it is important to have service dogs be able to go with other people in case their partner can’t take care of them. However, you also don’t want your dog to just wander off with anyone who calls their name. Morey seems to have found the perfect balance. He looks to me first, but is willing to go and behave for anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment