Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Refresher Course

Last week the weather got down to the 40s here. Quite a difference from the 90 degree weather from a few weeks ago! With this change, it was time for a change in wardrobe as well. I brought out my sweatshirts and jackets that hadn't been used for quite a while and realized that it was time for Morey to have a refresher course in one of his "seasonal tasks".

I sometimes struggle with taking my coat off. To avoid this problem I usually just avoid wearing a coat all together, but this week I wasn't quite ready to face the "frigid" temperatures (how quickly I have turned into a southerner!). So, it was time for Morey to step up to the plate and help tug my coat off.

The command "tug" can be used for several different things including tugging a door/drawer open or socks or coat off. I have Morey tug my patio door closed sometimes, but other than that, I don't use the tug command much. But, he quickly remembered what to do when presented with my coat sleeve, although I had to make sure he was doing a slow controlled tug (I need him to tug my sleeve off, not pull me out of my chair!). He helps first with one sleeve, then the other, and looks quite proud of himself when he's done. Morey likes to work and I am glad I have such a cheerful helper to help me face the challenges of cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment