Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Multi-Tasking


When I get to work in the morning I usually play ball with Morey before we go into the office. There is a nice grassy area (well, now it's mostly dead grass now because of the drought, but you get the idea) next to the parking lot where he can play. If I arrive early enough in the morning, I will let Morey carry his tennis ball up to the office. It's amazing how happy he is when he gets to hold on to his ball for a few more minutes.

One of the everyday tasks Morey does for me is push the automatic door button to get in our building. He enjoys this job a lot and seems to have his feelings hurt if someone else holds the door open for me.

When Morey had his tennis ball in his mouth, he was faced with the dilemma of multi-tasking. Although it was completely possible for him to jump up and touch the button with his nose while he kept the ball in his mouth, Morey couldn't figure out how to make that all work. So, he would jump up on the wall, pause for a minute, reluctantly drop the ball and touch the button as fast as he could, and then jump off the wall and grab his ball again. It took several weeks of doing this before he finally figured out how to open the door with the ball in his mouth. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment