Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Morey Goes Swimming

Well, I was feeling bad about my earlier post and having a boring life, so I decided to go do something new that would be fun to write about. Ok, not really, but Morey did have an exciting night and new adventure.

I went over to a friend's house for dinner (the same one who had the BBQ/Crawfish Boil). Her 2 dogs Maggie and Ace, a black lab and golden retriever, were happy to share their backyard and toys with Morey. They are 7 and 5 and Morey is a little lively in comparison. He was put in his place several times, but gracefully accepted the "that's enough" growl that Maggie gave him. Ace is equally obsessed with balls and they spent the evening watching each other to see if they could steal the ball the other one had.

After dinner we headed to a park that has a dammed creek running through it. Maggie and Ace are allowed to swim there and I was excited to see if Morey would join in. I'm not sure what his swimming background is, but as soon as he saw the other dogs jump in he followed right after. My friend brought 3 balls, 1 for each dog, and would throw them in the water and all the dogs would go after them. Morey loved it and had a huge "smile" on his face. We made the dogs take periodic breaks because they didn't know when to stop themselves.

Morey looked like he was having the time of his life! He would get a ball, jump in the water, swim around, get out, drop the ball at our feet, chase it on land, and then repeat the whole sequence. It was fun to see Morey getting to be such a dog. He recalled nicely to me several times and watching him romp and fun made me smile. One thing I did learn is that being dog height is a bad thing when you have wet dogs all around you shaking off. Oh well!

I gave Morey a bath when we got home and now he is fast asleep on his bed. He hasn't had this much exercise in a long time and I'm guessing he will still be tired tomorrow! I think we both found a favorite new hang out place in Austin and are both looking forward to going back again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment