Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Friday, August 10, 2012

Sticky Service Dog

I had a new experience the other day with Morey that took me by surprise. We were going in to work as usual when I looked down and saw Morey limping and biting at something on his paw. I had him stop and sit and then asked him to "shake" so I could look at what was bothering him. He willingly put his paw in my hand and immediately I figured out what was wrong. Morey had stepped in a piece of gooey green melted gum or candy and it had stuck to his paw pad and the surrounding fur. When he gave me his paw I got "gooped" as well.

I tried to pick off as much as I could before we went inside and headed straight to the bathroom to clean the rest up. I managed to get most of it off my hand, but Morey's paw was a different story. I couldn't wipe it off and since I was working at an odd angle it was difficult for me to pick it out of his fur. Finally I managed to get most of it off so at least it wasn't bothering him anymore. Throughout the rest of the day it seemed to wear off, although he did smell like green apple the rest of the day!

I have rolled through candy/gum before and that's a mess trying to get it out of my tire treads, but I have never had to pick it off Morey's paws before. Just another day in the life of a service dog partner...

No comments:

Post a Comment