Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Unexpected People in Unexpected Places

Last week after rugby practice I went to the grocery store. I don’t always bring Morey in when I go shopping, but it’s been in the high 80s here which is obviously too hot to leave Morey in my van. As we were shopping we ran into my boss. She lives close to me and we have crossed paths in the store before. As we greeted each other, Morey leaned forward to sniff her and when he realized it was Stephani he got very excited.

Morey has stayed with Stephani when I have needed a dog sitter, most recently for five days while I was in San Diego. He had a great time playing with her dog and being spoiled by the rest of her family. In the office he does a good job of recognizing boundaries of when he can greet and play with her and when he is on duty and focused on me. However, seeing Stephani in the store threw him off. He was working and ignoring people as usual, but when he saw her he got all wiggly and excited. She did a good job of ignoring him, which seemed to make him even more desperate to get to her. After putting him in a sit, I let her give him a quick pet and then we went our own ways.

The rest of the time we were in the store Morey was extra focused on the people around him. When we turned down an aisle he would scan the area around him, obviously still looking for Stephani. There are very few things that can cause Morey to act anything but perfect, but I guess seeing someone he knew in an unexpected place is one of those things!

No comments:

Post a Comment