Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bark in a Bag

Traveling with a dog never gets boring. Even though I would now consider both Morey and me to be experienced travelers, there are always new elements and adventures being thrown at us. Luckily we are both good at being flexible and rolling with whatever punches come our way!

We went home to Indiana for Thanksgiving and started out the trip by taking the bus to the airport. Morey tucked nicely under the seat and got several compliments from other passengers. Even though he can be a goof ball at home and sometimes even in the office, he is very good at snapping into official service dog mode.

In our flights over the past few months, I have noticed more people flying with little dogs. People will be walking the dogs, carrying them in their arms, or transporting them in soft-sided crates. through the airport. I'm not sure if these dogs are pets, emotional/psychiatric support animals or service dogs. (Under the Air Carrier Access Act, emotional/psychiatric support animals are allowed to fly with their partner, while under the Americans with Disabilities Act these types of animals are not granted public access).

Whatever the case, as Morey and I were making our way to our gate after going through security, we both were startled by several sharp yaps that quickly turned into incessant barking. I usually try to be aware of my surroundings and I hadn't seen a dog anywhere. Morey hadn't either and I could tell by the way his ears were pulled back and how he was glancing around that he was trying to find out where this piercing noise was coming from. Finally, I saw a woman bending down beside a bag on the floor next to her. Inside was an agitated fluffy white dog. The bag looked like a regular duffel bag but as I looked closer I could see that parts of it were mesh instead of solid cloth.

Neither Morey or I were expecting the barking to be coming from a bag. As we kept moving to our gate we could still hear the dog barking behind us. Now we know to look out for dogs in bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment