Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Monday, July 4, 2011

Back to Prison

Team Training is the time where new ICAN clients learn to work with their assistance dogs. For about ten days, clients go into the prisons and learn from the offenders how to work with their new canine partners. I have been a part of many of ICAN’s team trainings, as a volunteer, employee, and client. I was fortunate that ICAN was holding team training while I was in Indiana, so I could visit the prison and meet ICAN’s newest graduating class. And of course, have Morey return to the place he was trained and see his old friends. As soon as we arrived on the prison grounds, Morey knew where he was. When I asked him to push the button to open the automatic door to the administration building he started whining and quivering. As we got closer to the gym where the training was being held, and where Morey had spent many hours during his own training, he got more and more excited. When he saw his handler he had to use every amount of effort he had to sit until I released him. Once I did he ran over and started jumping around her. With a smile she asked me what I had done with the well-trained service dog she had given me in December.

Although Morey and I were there to visit, we were also there to help the new clients learn to work with their dogs. It was Morey’s job to act as a “strange dog” so the clients could introduce their dogs to a dog they had never met before. The only problem was that Morey has met these dogs before, as they were his training pals before he moved to Texas with me (most of the graduating dogs are actually Morey’s half brothers or sisters on his dad’s side). He behaved very professionally as the clients walked their dogs by, first for a “leave it”, and then for a short introduction.

Almost everyone who had known Morey before moving to Texas commented on how dark he has gotten. Because I see him everyday, I guess that’s something I don’t notice.They also commented on how connected Morey seemed to me. When I handed over his leash to someone else, he willingly worked for them but always seemed to be keeping an eye on where I was. I think he might have been a little afraid that he would be left behind. It’s always fun to visit the ICAN folks and good to have the chance to meet the new ICAN clients. I think Morey and I both enjoyed our day back in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment