Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

4th of July Fun

Morey and I celebrated our first 4th of July in Austin. My sister was here for the first part of the day and we went to the Texas State Cemetery, which was actually pretty cool.

After dropping my sister off at the airport, I took Morey for a walk on Lady Bird Lake so he wouldn't be too sad about her leaving. When we got there I remembered that part of the Hike and Bike Trail includes an off-leash dog area with a place for dogs to swim. It was ~102 degress and Morey was hot so I decided to let him enjoy his holiday and join the pack of dogs that was already in the water. He absolutely loved it! First he splashed in a small pond with a fountain and then we moved on to swimming in the lake. There were probably about 10 dogs already there of all shapes, sizes, and breeds.

Most of the dogs had tennis balls and were fetching them from the lake. I couldn't get close to the water, but Morey quickly realized that any of the people standing ankle deep in the water would be happy to throw the ball for him. He had some confusion about which ball was his and whenever he saw one being thrown he would drop the one he had and race the other dog to get the ball. And most of the time he got it too. I had to keep apologizing that Morey was stealing the other dogs' balls but no one really seemed too bothered by it. It was a very fun way to spend a hot afternoon and Morey had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment