Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Five Minutes of Fame

Our Communications Department at work wanted to do a story about a program I helped to start a few years ago. While I was doing the interview the staff member said "Will it be ok if I interview Morey while I'm here? We'd like to do a staff profile on him." For a second I wasn't sure how to answer. She knew Morey is a dog so I didn't think she really intended to interview him but the way she asked made it seem like she expected him to tell her his life story. Morey is pretty incredible and he knows a lot of English words but he has yet to speak to anyone.

So, once I finished my interview we switched the focus to Morey. I told her how we met, shared a bit about his hobbies and community service, and explained how important it is for fans and admirers to let Morey to focus on his work instead of complimenting or fawning over him.

You can find his profile story here: http://ddce.utexas.edu/news/2015/12/11/ddce-staff-profile-morey-shryock-service-dog-and-unofficial-mascot-of-the-ssd/

And for those who might be interested in reading my story (where Morey also gets a mention) you can find it here: http://ddce.utexas.edu/news/2015/12/08/a-qa-with-dis-disability-advocate-instructor-emily-shryock/

I am very thankful to work somewhere where Morey and I are both valued and appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment