Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Safety with a Service Dog

The Americans with Disabilities Act is very clear that being trained to protect a person with a disability is not a task that qualifies a dog as a service dog. People often ask me if Morey is trained to protect me and I am always very clear that service dogs are not trained to protect their human partners. I know a few service dogs who have protected their human partners in sketchy situations but that isn't something they were trained to do. While I like to think Morey might have some inner Lassie if circumstances necessitated it, I don't have much confidence that my friendly goofy boy would be much of a protector.


 However, with Morey by my side I feel a sense of security and safety that I don't have without him. As a woman with a disability I am very aware of my vulnerability in certain situations. By observing Morey as he takes in the environment with his superior senses I am better able to pick up on things happening around me (such as people approaching) so he helps me be more aware of my surroundings. And even though I have little confidence in any instinctual protection ability Morey might have, I do know that the presence of a dog makes people look at me differently. I'm not just a woman in a wheelchair anymore; I'm a woman accompanied by an 80lb yellow fellow.


I am proud and grateful to be able to go through life with such a handsome, smart and fun-loving dog by my side!

No comments:

Post a Comment