Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Using Old Cues in New Ways

One of the things I love about working with a service dog is that it's a constantly evolving relationship. Even though most people get their service dog after it's been fully trained that doesn't mean either one of you is done learning. I find I am constantly finding new ways to engage with Morey not just to keep him sharp but also to build our connection and adapt to new environments and situations. While I've taught him a few new cues/tasks for the most part we just adapt cues he is already familiar with to new circumstances.


We've recently had several days of really warm weather- in fact on Wednesday we set a new record high with an 84 degree day! While the northeast was getting pounded by a horrible blizzard down in Texas we were enjoying some pretty nice weather. Now that I live in a house with a yard, warm weather means there is usually some type of yard work to get done. One day my roommate and I were working in the front yard and Morey was outside with us. We live on a corner and there are often people passing by; running, walking their dogs and just enjoying being outside. While I was busy weeding my cactus garden Morey was busy paying attention to everything going on around him.


When a couple walked by with their Scottie dogs Morey decided to go over and greet them. Although he has gotten better, his greetings still involve some "Golden growling" which is often interpreted other dogs as an aggressive approach. I immediately called Morey back to me and he quickly came after taking another sniff. I apologized profusely to the Scotties' humans. I don't appreciate it when other people let their dogs rush up to Morey and I try my best to keep him from doing it to other dogs.


Knowing this scenario would likely happen again I decided to be more proactive and set Morey up for success the next time. Instead of just telling Morey what not to do (greet other dogs) I decided to ask him to do another behavior. "Bed" is a cue that means go over to whatever has been designated as your bed (a blanket, dog bed, etc), lay down and stay until released. I keep a bed for him in the garage which he often lays on while I work on my sporting equipment so I got that down and spent a few minutes "sending" him to the bed from only a few feet away. He knows the cue "bed" but had never applied it to that bed before. Once he seemed to get the idea I went out into the yard and spent a few minutes sending him to his bed from farther distances.  After two or three times he seemed to understand what I wanted so I went back to my weeding. Every 5-7 minutes I would send him to his bed and have him stay for varying amounts of time. Morey thought it was a game and eagerly bounded toward his bed and laid down, attentively waiting for me to release him.


When I saw a person coming toward us walking his dog I sent Morey to his bed. He saw the other dog, hesitated a moment and then went directly to his bed and laid down! I was so proud! Dogs are probably Morey's biggest distraction, especially when he is not working/doesn't have his vest on. I was also proud of myself for handling the situation like a dog trainer and taking time to teach Morey an appropriate behavior instead of getting mad at him for doing an inappropriate behavior.


ICAN handlers teach the dogs behaviors like boundary training and cues like "bed" that can be applied to many different situations. Spending a few minutes showing your dog that a familiar concept/cue can be applied to a specific place can help your dog stay safe and avoid problem behaviors. I certainly reminded myself of that lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment