Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Library Lab

When your arms are what you use to get around, you have to figure out other ways to carry and transport items. The usual substitute for wheelchair users is their lap. You'd be surprised by the amount of things I can pile on me to move from one location to another!

Balance is a key factor when you are carrying items on your lap. Any slight change in the surface you are rolling on can cause items to shift and then fall. To avoid this, I often put individual items in a box or bag to make things a little easier.

 Now, hills add an interesting twist to lap carrying. Uphill usually isn't a problem because the bag/box will shift against your body and still be secure. Downhill presents a whole different challenge. As you go down, the item on your lap typically wants to do down as well. Trying to grab a bag that is slipping off your lap while going downhill is a recipe for disaster.  

My office is located at the top of a giant hill.The other day I had to return library books at a drop box that was at the bottom of the hill. I hadn't brought my backpack and so I was trying to figure out how to get the 3 books down the hill. I had an old paperbag in my office and the books fit perfectly inside. I knew the bag wasn't going to stay on my lap and so I had only solved half my problem.

Enter Morey the service dog. I gave him to bag to carry and it didn't seem to heavy for him.  I was so proud when he carried it the entire way (about 2 blocks). He gets so happy when he is working-he carried his head high (in part so the bag wouldn't drag on the ground) and his tail wagging. He naturally got a lot of comments and compliments on our way and he seemed to know that he was doing a good thing. After dropping off the books, I let him carry the empty back all the way back to my office, where he got lots of praise and butt scratches.


                                     Morey makes my life happier and easier in so many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment