Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, September 8, 2012

It's The Little Things

When people think of the work that service dogs do, they often think of the amazing examples of how service dogs save their partner's  lives in dramatic ways. There certainly are these wonderful examples, but most of the time, service dogs help their partners in small ways that may seem insignificant but actually increase quality of life and independence.The other day I had a good reminder of how Morey makes my life easier.

I tend to keep my sunglasses hooked on the back of my wheelchair. Out of sight, out of mind, so I often load my chair in my car before remembering to remove my sunglasses. This happened the other day; Morey was loaded, I was loaded and as I was pulling my chair in behind me, my sunglasses fell off my chair and onto the ground. I sighed as I looked at them,  I had been having a rough day and I didn't really want to go to all the effort of unloading my chair and transferring out of my Mazda just to get my sunglasses that were 2 feet away.

Then I remembered that I have a very highly trained service dog traveling with me and I told him "off" and then "get". He jumped out of the car retrieved my sunglasses and gave them to me, then jumped back into his seat. Although it might seem like a small thing, it saved me from expending unnecessary energy. Those are the types of situations where it comes in handy to have Morey around!

No comments:

Post a Comment