Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Saturday, May 16, 2015

It's a Small World

UT hosted the State Track and Field Meet and it was the second year they have had a wheelchair division. I knew some of the athletes (the wheelchair sports community is pretty small) and I decided to go to watch and support them. A friend offered me "VIP" tickets that allowed us to go right onto the infield to watch. It was very cool to see high school athletes with disabilities having the chance to compete and represent their schools in sports. There were 9 boys and 4 girls competing which is more than last year so hopefully more students will get involved over the coming years.

One of the women watching with us started asking questions about Morey; what is his name, how old is he, etc. When she asked where I got him I said " A program in Indiana". Not many people know about ICAN in Texas so that is my general answer unless I really want to engage in conversation. She then asked "Was he trained in a women's prison?" and suddenly I started paying more attention. I confirmed that he was and then mentioned ICAN's name. She said her daughter got a dog from ICAN and I asked her who she got. Even though I haven't been closely involved with ICAN for the past few years I still know a lot of the dogs and I curious if I knew her daughter and her dog.

I was very surprised when she said "Wooley". "Your daughter is Dr. Sue?" I asked in surprise. I could tell she was surprised that I knew Wooley and her daughter, who is a pediatric doctor and used Wooley, a labrodoodle, as a Facility Dog in her clinics. They were among some of the first ICAN placements and did some incredible work together. Sadly, Wooley passed away a few years ago and Dr. Sue is now matched with Mollie, another doodle.

Who would have thought that two strangers meeting in Austin Texas would share a connection through ICAN? ICAN might be based in Indiana but its impact is spreading far and wide!

No comments:

Post a Comment