Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Close the Door Behind You

There are some tasks that I have chained together so that Morey automatically goes through several commands with only one command. These tend to be tasks that Morey does on a regular basis and it allows me to be efficient (lazy?) and say one command instead of directing him through each step. Most of the time this is helpful, but there are occasions where this can backfire.

When I let Morey out into our fenced in backyard, I sometimes don't go out with him. I'll close the door but not latch it and when Morey is done with his business he comes and stands by the door. I'll then tell him "push" and he'll push the door open and come inside. After he comes in I have trained him to turn around and push the door closed behind him (I'm still working on figuring out how to get him to lock the door as well...). This works well for us and is pretty cute to watch. I may have to catch it on video and try to post it here.

What could go wrong with this arrangement? Well, the other day I was bringing in groceries through our garage door. I had my lap full and reached out to unlatch the door and then told Morey to "push". He eagerly pushed the door open- and then went inside and then immediately closed the door behind him- essentially slamming the door in my face! I realized that I had been too effective in teaching him to close the door behind him and had a good laugh about it. I guess I need to re-think this arrangement!

No comments:

Post a Comment