Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Joining the Conversation

Morey has picked up a few office habits that took me a while to realize. One of them is bone chewing. For the most part, he ignores the bones that I have in my office for him to chew on. However, when someone comes into my office to talk with me, Morey will get up and bring his bone over to where we are sitting and settle down for a nice long chew...as long as our conversation continues. Once the person leaves, Morey gets up and shows no more interest in the bone until the next time someone comes in.

After several times of this I realized this was not a random event. It's so predictable that my co-workers have commented on it. While I was analyzing possible motivations for this behavior, I have come up with the hypothesis (research has not been done to date : ) that it's Morey's way of "joining in the conversation". As a kind of calming behavior, he likes to bring his bone between me and the person I am talking to and chew away. Although the sound of bone chewing can get somewhat distracting, it also does have somewhat of a calming effect for the humans.

If any one else has a theory about Morey's bone chewing habit, I would be happy to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment