Morey

Morey
Morey, My 2nd Service Dog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Introducing My New "Significant Other"

It’s taken me a long time to get to the point where I am ready to welcome someone into every part of my life. A few years ago I thought I had found the one I would be with “’til death do us part”. But it was not to be. Even today, part of my heart still belongs with my first real love and it has taken me a long time to be able to let go and move on. Since that time I've had several short term relationships that have left me longing for something more. There have been several guys who have come into my life and made my heart skip a beat when I wondered if he might be “The One”. But each time I’ve questioned and hesitated, and as a result, I have had to sit back and watch as he walked out of my life and started a new life with someone else.

Now, I’ve come to a point where I’m ready to fondly remember the past, while stepping forward and embracing the future. I’m ready to take a chance on love again and let someone else share my heart and my life. And I think I’ve found the perfect candidate!

I’ve known him since he was a kid, but never thought of him as more than a casual friend. We hung out a lot last spring, but his career was in Indiana and I was moving to Texas, so eventually we went our own ways. People have been telling me for months that we're a perfect match, but I wasn’t ready to listen...until now. Three weeks ago, I found out he was offered a job in Austin and suddenly everything has changed!

He’s tall and blond; quiet with a goofy side that surfaces every now and then. He’s laid back, but he is always ready to go along on an adventure. He makes me laugh, but he is also good about knowing when I just need a hug or a listening ear. He’s patient with my idiosyncrasies and is one of the most reliable guys I’ve ever met. At first, he was awkward around my chair, but now it's just part of who I am. He sees past my disability and is always willing to help when I finally decide to ask. He’s never seen me play rugby, but I’ll change that in a hurry!

Our families get along really well and I love his parents. We’ve spent time together over Christmas and then will be flying back to Texas together. It might seem like we’re rushing things, but really our relationship is just taking on a new dimension. I think we’re both ready to take this new step and I’m excited to see where it’s going to take us.

I can’t wait to introduce you to Morey…my new service dog! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment